Wednesday, March 11, 2009

California Stars

I love music, love it. It's almost always consistently playing in my house. I love all different kinds of music. This being said, typically my favorite group/song/album changes (hey, I'm a girl, what can I say?) However, I have one song that is above all others: “California Stars.” This song (and the other tracks on Mermaid Avenue collections) is the collaborative efforts of Billy Bragg and Wilco who set to music the lyrics of folk singer Woody Guthrie.

The first time I heard this song, I was lying underneath the stars (literally!) in the English countryside, feeling a bit heartbroken and homesick for my native California. I imagined a young, romantic, idealistic man simply lying stargazing and dreaming of his one true love, all underneath the beautiful California skies. However, as I grow I like to believe that Guthrie was trying to suggest that we should enjoy the simpler things in life, which often include those quiet moments with your true love.

I decided to title this blog “California Stars” for many reason, one being my passion for this song. However, my hopes with this blog are to introduce my readers to the amazing state of California, with the warm-starry-night in California appeal. I thought that the title reference would work there too. And of course, the word California can be replaced with “Hollywood Stars”, which is part of California’s image.

California Stars (this is my favorite version)

I'd like to rest my heavy head tonight
On a bed of California stars
I'd like to lay my weary bones tonight
On a bed of California stars I'd love to feel
Your hand touching mine / And tell me why / I must keep working on Yes I'd give my life
To lay my head tonight on a bed
Of California stars I'd like to dream / My troubles all away
On a bed of California stars Jump up from my starbed / Make another day

Underneath my California stars / They hang like grapes / On vines that shine / And warm the lovers' glass / Like friendly wine So I'd give this world / Just to dream a dream with you / On our bed of California stars I'd like to rest my heavy head tonight

On a bed of California stars
I'd like to lay my weary bones tonight
On a bed of California stars I'd love to feel
Your hand touching mine / And tell me why / I must keep working on Yes I'd give my life
To lay my head tonight on a bed / Of California stars I'd like to dream / My troubles all away / On a bed of California stars Jump up from my starbed / Make another day /

Underneath my California stars They hang like grapes / On vines that shine / And warm the lovers' glass / Like friendly wine So I'd give this world / Just to dream a dream with you / On our bed of California stars So I'd give this world / Just to dream a dream with you / On our bed of California stars (Dream a dream with you)

No comments: