Thursday, October 01, 2009

The horrible, no-good, very bad day

Yesterday, hump day, was sort of a bad day. Not the end-all-be-all bad day, where you get laid off or hear devastating life-changing news, but more like a series of small irritations, that, cumulatively, had me wanting to cry and yell in both the same breath and then me quickly wanting to race home, put my pajamas on and pretend the day never existed. You know the day: horrific traffic, bad hair, and high-maintenance school partners. When it got to the point when I finally realized that nothing was going right for me all day, I threw up my hands in frustration. I GET IT, UNIVERSE, TODAY SUCKS. Then, I decided to pray. Pray for peace (my peace, not world peace or anything selfless like that); pray for patience, pray for a better attitude. I dove into my Bible; I would not let the enemy beat me down. I knew that God would hear my prayer and right my day. Then he very quickly responded by:

· Dropping my lunch on the kitchen floor (when I was starving!) and shattering a dish (of course).

· Making sure I hit “discard” on a very important email rather than “send” when I was done with it.

· Spilling my vanilla decaf latte all over my skirt (which I had ironically purchased to improve said sucky day).

So, to sum it up, basically, I suffered pretty much every cliché you can think of on Hump day. In fact, I’m surprised I didn’t get a speeding ticket (Wait, traffic was so bad that I never got near the speed limit).

On the upside, however, I did pull out my fall decorations (I love this time of year...if only we had foliage instead of Santa Ana winds) while listening to some of this, this, this and this (yes, my music tastes are wide and varied) and drinking a homemade caramel apple cider. Plus, I got to see my tiny baby via an ultrasound and hear how perfect it was developing. Silver linings and all, I guess.

No comments: