Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Two special people

I have to say that I honestly love my in-laws.

At first, I wasn’t so sure. When we first met, my mother-in-law said about three words to me, and I’m pretty sure they were in reference to J’s ex-girlfriends. And then there was that time after the honeymoon she called in tears because the song she and J danced to for the mother-son dance was playing on the car radio. Red flags were everywhere.

But, I really do love them. I love that they drive 100 miles twice a week to baby-sit their granddaughters while I am at work, and they do so happily. I love that they always run a load of laundry while I’m gone. I love that they always unload the dishwasher as well. I may not love having to hunt for everything the next day, but I love how they do it to help. I love that they buy fleece pajamas for the girls in the fall and cute sundresses for them in the spring.

I love how they make blueberry muffins and always have coffee creamer for me whenever we come to their house to visit even though they drink their coffee black and out-of-season blueberries are expensive and hard to find. I love that my father-in-law is a good man, a reliable man; an honest man. I love that my mother-in-law is loyal and dedicated to her husband. I love that they remind me to not take life too seriously. I love that they are intelligent and thoughtful and considerate. I love having them in my life.

But, the one thing I love more than anything is seeing how much they love on their grandchildren. I love when Lily runs into Papa’s arms after a surprise visit. I love how Grandma Jo lets Daisy make a mess with the rainbow sprinkles when they bake cupcakes. I love how Grandma Jo lets Lily decorate her with stickers. I love how Papa entertains Daisy with princess stories. I love how they brag about their grandchildren to everyone they meet.

But mostly, I love their devotion to the family they created.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful Sara! Our boys are crazy about their grandparents too, and I am so glad they make such an effort to be a part of their lives.