Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Ode to Strawberries

Forgive me Internet, for I did not mean to write two posts about fruit in one month. Obviously I have a problem. But, have you had any strawberries lately? Oh. My. Gosh. They are delicious. I mean, I have always loved strawberries. In high school I kept the nearby fresh strawberry stand in business. Well, me and a few of my friends. I guess after high school, I left strawberries for more exotic fruit like mangoes, pineapples and white peaches. But, I recently rediscovered them. Maybe it’s because I’m trying to “Be Californian, Buy California Grown” and they are everywhere at the farmer’s market. Or maybe their sweet smell is calling me. Who knows? But, let me tell you, I am inhaling massive quantities of them.

I love them plain straight out of the fridge for a morning snack, sliced in a spinach salad for dinner, and then with mascarpone cheese for an after dinner dessert. Don’t even get me started on strawberry shortcake, strawberry pie, chocolate-covered strawberries, or strawberry cake.

Now, excuse me while I go and consume my pint of strawberries. And maybe next week I'll write about cherries?

No comments: