Wednesday, March 23, 2016

The books we like to read

We've been reading up a storm lately, while we are big readers here at Chez Stars - it is possibly a combination of the stomach flu that hit our house, rainy weather and a streak of really great titles that has propelled us to crazy new levels.

The Worst Witch: This was meant to be a independent read for Daisy, and I only read the first chapter out loud to the girls, but then we couldn't put it down...so, we just kept going. It's a fun and sweet and we love the magical fantasy element. 

The Secret Garden: I loved this novel as a child, and I have a beautifully illustrated version that we have been reading from. At church (and preschool!) the girls have a "secret passageway" from the main building to the parking lot with a space they call "their secret garden" and thus, the reason for the reading of this book. Daisy and Lily love it. The first few chapters were a bit intense (apparently I blocked out the entire reason why she was living with her Uncle in the first place), but now they love it. 

I am #1: Sacagawea: Daisy has been fascinated with Sacagawea since she first read Fancy Nancy and the Book Report when she was a mere two years old. I have learned much about this amazing woman in the past four years. We both enjoyed this book and the subsequent conversations about life as an Native American women. In the after notes, we learned that there are more statues in the United States of Sacagawea than any other women, and Daisy wants to try and find them all. Along with another biography about her. Apparently, the obsession isn't over yet. 

The Princess and the Giant: I have loved all the books by this author. The illustrations are adorable and whimsical, the rhyming text is playful with a fun twist on a classic fairy tale.

Interstellar Cinderella: Cinderella has long been a favorite in this house, I both love it from a classic Brothers Grimm and Charles Perrault fairy tale perspective and from a cultural perspective as it's one of the more popular fairy tales retold in many difference countries from China to Iraq to Native American to Greece and Poland. The girls have loved all the versions that I've read to them, of course, the Disney versions being the most popular, especially with Lily. So, it's really no surprise that this has been a popular choice. I do like that in this version Cinderella is a take-charge mechanic that doesn't need a prince to rescue her. She rescues him.  

Peter and the Wolf: We've been reading the story, listening to the music, we watched the Disney version one wet and windy afternoon.

SuperFudge: This is a special read aloud just with Lily. She asked for a special Mommy read aloud, and I never turn down a chance to snuggle up with my little jumping bean. 

Ollie the Stomper: One of Violet's favorite reads are the Gossie and Friends books, and of course, this has quickly become our morning read, our nap time read, our before bedtime read, and any other time in-between read. 

When Breathe Becomes Air: I've been seeing this pop up everywhere and frankly, I thought it just sounded depressing. However, between my personal connection to a thirty-five year old young husband and father who was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer and all of the amazing reviews, I thought I should give this a chance. This has turned out to be a beautiful book and I cannot believe that I waited so long to read the poetic words. I found this to be thought-provoking and beautiful. Sad, yes, but life-affirming and spectacular as well.

America's First Daughter: I just started this, so admittedly I'm only on chapter 2, but so far I'm hooked. Historical fiction is my favorite genre, and the American Revolution is my favorite time period, so it has that going for me. I love the unique perspective and so far, it has completely captured my attention (like, I'm ignoring the huge laundry pile on my couch and the stack of essays to grade to keep reading this).

Next up on my reading list: Murder on the Orient Express, All the Light We Cannot See and potentially a re-read of the Harry Potter books (to get ready for this summer's new release!) 

No comments: